12.06.2011

One on One with Chad Finley



I recently had the pleasure of shooting with photographer, Chad Finley and as always his work exceeded my expectations. He is really one of a kind and I am crazy about his beauty shots, and might I add, he is quite a beauty. See for yourself ladies.

He was able to take a few minutes of his busy schedule to answer a few questions I had about his inspiration, background, and aesthetic. 

What made you decide to pursue a career in photography?
- Photography started off as a hobby. I never really saw myself making a career out of it in my first couple years of doing photography. But after I realized how much I love doing it I asked myself, "Why not pursue photography as a career?" I had no definite answer so I pursued it.
You studied at Florida A&M University. How do you think your education has prepared you to work in photography?
- I learned a lot at FAMU, more then just taking classes. The total experience I had at FAMU prepared me to be a self-starter and a strong enough individual to be an entrepreneur. The education I received was great; I started off developing film in a darkroom to working with DSLR cameras by my senior year.
Where does inspiration for your work come from? 
- I study photography all the time - different styles of photography. As well as magazines, but I pull most of my inspiration from music. I've always been a music lover and music is very inspiring to me. I can listen to a song and get a visual for a photo shoot.
How would you describe your personal style?
- If you mean my photography style, it's simplistic, young and vibrant; with emphasis on color and beauty. 
Tell us a little something about your work.
- Well my work is underdevelopment, meaning I'm still molding my work into how I envision it to be. A lot of people feel as though I "made it" or I'm "at my best" but I really just started liking my own work this past year. I am my own worst critic; I have much more in store. 
What is your favorite city to work in?
- Good question, I feel like every city has something different to offer. Atlanta: Promotional Models | Miami: Exotic Models | LA: Laid-back Beach Models | NYC: High Fashion Models. Personally I enjoy shooting in Miami the most because I love the diversity there. Miami is the most diverse market for models in the US from what I've seen. And I love shooting on their beaches.
Do you have a personal philosophy?
- Yes, everything in the world revolves around trust, belief and faith. You have to trust yourself, family, friends, significant other - Believe in what/who you think it true in your life - And have faith for the unknowing future and what you have no evidence of.
At what point did you realize photography is the career path for you?
- I can't really say there was an actual point. The more I fell in love with photography the more I wanted to do it; they money was just an extra bonus because I was doing something (I am doing something) I am passionate about.
Where would you like your career to lead you?
- I want it to lead me to giving back. I believe God lead me in this creative field to inspire people - no matter who you are, where you come from, what color your skin is, you can be and do what your heart desires. I plan on teaching photography and graphics in the future; I also would love to open up a school of the arts one day. In the near future, I would like to shoot for some high fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, V Magazine etc
What advice would you give people trying to pursue their dreams?

- Dream big, learn your craft, know who you are and what you stand for, don't accept anything less than perfect, make a plan and stick to it.

3 comments:

  1. hey cesca im looking forward to seeing stuff africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. stuff from africa..........loads of designers here chat u up when ever i come to the states.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...